Commensurate with Experience
Surface 678, PA is an award-winning 23-person firm located in the downtown of Durham, North Carolina. Our work includes the design of urban public spaces, parks, museums, botanical gardens, university and corporate campuses and healthcare facilities throughout the Southeastern United States and beyond. In those areas of practice, we work collaboratively with architects; civil, structural, electrical, plumbing engineers; cultural and historical consultants; arborists, environmental scientists, artists and many other disciplines needed to create meaningful and thoughtful work.
We are looking for a construction administrator to oversee the construction of our highest profile projects. While focusing on construction administration, the position includes integration with the studio early and often in the design process. The candidate will manage and oversee budgets and staff available for many of the required tasks. In addition, this position requires the candidate to mentor and teach design staff of construction knowledge and experience gained on site. The candidate will also be required to be involved with projects in a variety of phases including concept, schematic, design development and construction documentation. The candidate must be motivated to work in a creative and collaborative studio.
The candidate will oversee the site construction of a high-profile development project located at the Research Triangle Park in Durham North Carolina. We anticipate approximately 50% of the candidate’s time will be committed to the project initially. This will include daily observation of site installation, daily issuance of field reports, participation in weekly construction meetings, response to RFI, and product submittal review.
- 6-8 years employment history with site specific design, grading, planting design/construction
- Proficiency in construction management, materials, and methods
- Proficiency in PDF editing software
- Experience in the construction of highly designed sites
- Comfortable in giving instructions to Contractors
- Client communications and project management
- Highly motivated, able to work both self-directed and in interdisciplinary teams
- Experience with Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) software such as Autocad 2020 or Vectorworks is preferred but not required.
- Some travel required
Bachelor or Masters in Landscape Architecture, Architecture, or Construction Management
Send an email containing a single PDF file (size limit 10MB) including a letter of interest, resume, a portfolio, and references to:
Charles Bradley, PLA
Surface 678, PA